Allied Irish Bank (AIB) is one of the largest banks in Ireland, with branches in Northern Ireland and Great Britain. AIB offers a range of current accounts for personal and business customers, with features such as online banking and overdraft facility.
Opening a bank account with AIB is easy and convenient. You just need to follow these simple steps.
Benefits of banking with AIB
As an AIB customer, you can enjoy the benefits of banking with one of the leading banks in Ireland.
- Manage your account online or on the go with the AIB Internet Banking or Mobile Banking app.
- Pay bills, send money abroad, set up standing orders and direct debits with ease.
- Access your money at over 11,500 ATMs across the UK and Ireland.
- Earn rewards and cashback on your spending with selected partners.
1. Choose your account type
First, you need to decide what kind of account you want. AIB has a few types of current accounts for different needs. You can choose from:
This is a standard current account for everyday banking with no monthly maintenance fee if you keep a minimum balance of £2,000. This is a good option if you want a simple and flexible account that lets you manage your money however you like.
This is a current account for graduates who have completed their studies within the last two years, with no monthly maintenance fee, free cash withdrawals and a £2,000 interest-free overdraft for the first year. This is an ideal option if you are starting your career and need an account that supports you in your transition from student to professional.
This is an account for a business of any size with online banking, contactless business cards and a range of business services. This is a perfect option if you need an account that helps you manage your business finances efficiently and effectively.
You can compare the features and fees of each account on the AIB website here.
2. Check if you are eligible
Next, you need to make sure you are eligible to open an account with AIB. You must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a UK resident
- Have a valid proof of identity and address
- driving licence
- utility bill
- bank statement.
3. Apply in the app
Then, you need to apply for the account. You can do this in the AIB app or by phone but I recommend applying through the app because it’s much faster – you can complete the whole process in minutes. Follow these simple steps.
- Get the AIB App from the App Store or Play Store.
- Tap “Become an AIB customer”.
- Enter and verify your email address.
- Provide some personal details:
- full name
- date of birth
- phone number
- Select your account type and agree to the T&Cs.
- Upload your proof of identity and address using the app.
- Await approval.
To apply by phone, you’ll need to:
- Call AIB on (0)345 6005 204.
- Speak to an advisor who will ask you some questions about your personal and financial situation.
- Choose your account type and agree to the T&Cs.
- Provide your proof of identity and address by post or in person at an AIB branch.
- Await approval.
4. Receive your account details
Once your application is approved, you will receive your account details, debit card and PIN by post within a few working days. You can activate your card easily through the mobile app. You can then start using your account for deposits, withdrawals, transfers and more.
It’s best to explore the online banking service and the app thoroughly to understand your options for managing your money – some tasks may be restricted in the app.
To efficiently manage your AIB along with all your other accounts and credit cards, connect your new account to Emma. It’s the most comprehensive money management app with cutting-edge budgeting tools, predictive bill reminders and visual reports to help you stay ahead of your money and cut expenses. Emma helps you save more with Pots which separates your money into different piles with individual goals so you can track and achieve them faster. There’s so much more in the Emma app to help you earn, save and track money so get it if you want to make the most of your new account.