How to cancel DVLA

How to cancel your car tax

  1. Contact the DVLA. You can call the DVLA at 0300 790 6802 from Monday to Friday between 8am and 7pm, and on Saturday from 8am to 2pm. You can email it here, and you can send a letter at Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR.
  2. Your car tax will be automatically cancelled. If you have direct debits with the DVLA, these will be automatically stopped and your car tax will no longer be valid.
  3. Your refund will be processed by the DVLA. You shouldn’t need to do anything, and a refund will come by cheque through the post. If your refund hasn’t come within 6 weeks, there may have been a problem and you should contact the DVLA to let it know you haven’t received your refund.
  4. If you have received the cheque, but the information on it is wrong, return the cheque with a note about the correct information to: Refund Section, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AL.

How to cancel your vehicle tax

You must tell DVLA that your vehicle has been:

  • sold or transferred
  • taken off the road
  • written off by your insurance company
  • scrapped at a vehicle scrapyard
  • stolen
  • exported out of the UK
  • registered as exempt from vehicle tax

To cancel online, go to

To cancel over the phone, call: 0300 790 6802
Track all your paid subscriptions in one place, for free.

Get it on App Store Get it on Google Play

Whether you're looking for information on how to delete your DVLA account, unsubscribe or cancel a free trial, Emma can help.

Check out the instructions above to cancel your DVLA membership. You can also browse our directory for pages on how to cancel other popular subscription services.

Emma is a money management app that connects to all your bank accounts to help you track paid subscriptions and bank fees, set budgets payday to payday and categorise your expenses to identify areas for improvement in your finances.

Meet your new Best Financial Friend (BFF): download Emma from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and start saving money today!
DVLA may show up on your statement as: